Monday, April 20, 2009

Presenting Mixed Media

This past weekend I attended a collage composition class taught by a talented local artist, Connie Andrews. My goal was to learn more about the myriad materials available to paint photographs and discover some basic principles about collage.


The artwork that I produced in class is shown here, although I didn't feel that it was truly finished, so I kept working on it when I got home.

If you have read my writing blog, you'll know that I am an admirer of impressionistic painting and I've written an article about the Spanish painter, Joaquin Sorolla. I love his use of light on water and the life it brings to an image.

When I took this photo, it reminded me of an impressionistic painting -- even through the viewfinder as I pressed the shutter button. I took a series of shots and I know they will materialize again in my portfolio.

Although the photo is in color, it actually appears to be a black and white image. So, I chose to embellish with bright and metallic acrylics. My compositional goal is to draw the eye to the figures in the water and follow the elements down to the left, then clockwise.

Using no less than ten different colors, I worked the paint to subtly follow the arc of the father's back and draw the eye down to the child and their feet in the water.

I love how the zigzag of light reflecting on the water follows the line of the child's hand.

The elements are collaged onto canvas board and include my original photograph; textured and tissue paper; paper napkin; stationery; map; paper daisy; and artists' paper.

I'll be producing more of these types of paintings to add a new dimension to my photographic work. I welcome your feedback.

4 comments:

  1. nice photography...
    great job. I waiting you for the next post.
    Ramadhani-Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty, your collage is beautiful.
    I love the photo and the colors that you put together.
    I see the beginning of great things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments; I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic art....and good photos ...i like your imaginations...

    cathrin disusa
    Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

    ReplyDelete