Friday, March 8, 2013

Does Feminism Need a New Brand?


"Fairminism" might be a good start


By Patty O’Connor Lauritzen

The women’s movement was a great achievement during the last century and I’m glad for it. Thank you, Grandma and Mom. You did good work fighting the good fight. I’m grateful and thankful for my opportunities and rights.

Wait, did Seth MacFarlane just say, and then sing, “we saw your boobs?”

This year’s Oscars ceremony was a wake up call to millions of women around the world. 

Thank you, Seth MacFarlane, for giving us a barometer read on today's perception of women’s value. It isn’t pretty.  

I was eager to watch the Oscars this year and see the Academy honor today’s amazing cinematic storytellers. I thought my daughters, ages 3 and 5, might like to see their favorite film, Brave, contend for an Academy Award.

But, as the opening number, “We Saw Your Boobs” unfolded, I was horrified. Not only by the overt obnoxiousness, but that my daughters were watching. A few nights later, my daughter told me she was excited to have boobs. She’s five and now acutely aware of our breast-crazed society. Seth, are you listening? She’s only FIVE.

As I watched the show, I checked Twitter and Facebook and expected women to be raising a battle cry of protest over the sexist and degrading jokes. I was disappointed that I didn't see many people speaking out. Worse yet, that made me not want to speak out myself.

Thankfully, commentary started appearing after a day or two. 

For me, the Oscars were like a women’s state of the nation address.

The degradation of women throughout the whole program prompted writer, Lindy West to write about "sexism fatigue" for Jezebel. She is spot on. I reject the idea that these are just jokes that shouldn’t be taken seriously, but I didn’t speak out myself. At least, not until now.

Many women have become engrossed in empty consumerism powered by dollar hungry media. There is a capitalization on female insecurity that makes women so tense, that it’s hard to even relate to each other anymore. We women still tend to measure ourselves by what we have and how we look. 

Through the media, we are told to hold this ideal image of ourselves that's not real. Whose ideal is it anyway?

And that’s the problem. Women are not taught to reach their potential by following their own ideals. We need to support one another to provide shelter from the negativity storm. Women wage a battle with the mass media that chips away at their self-esteem on a daily basis. The appeal to the advertising world and the editors to cease the onslaught of daily attacks on the value and ability of women and girls goes largely ignored. Are women not being made to feel inferior? Isn’t that called bullying?

As an educated professional working mother who earns a relatively decent living and is blessed with a happy co-parenting marriage, I am reaping the benefits of the women’s movement, no doubt. In fact, I grew up with these opportunities and never thought much about it. For me, that is the way my life tracked. But, nobody told me being a working mother would be so hard emotionally, mentally and physically.

I have never considered myself a feminist before I watched the Oscars. 

Feminism, to me, is associated with a generation before me. 

It is as comfortable an identifying word as calling myself a suffragette. But, today we see our politicians attempt to define rape and question birth control. I’m starting to realize that I am a feminist. Very much so.

Women’s reproductive rights can’t be given and then taken away in the same generation. Or, can they? Women have worked too hard to get to this point in time to let that happen. Yet, I see the headlines discussing these issues and I feel dismissive. These politicians must be in the minority, right? Maybe it’s me who is not taking these issues seriously enough. Ladies, we didn’t have these rights in the not so distant past.

Just as there is a generation of women who have fought for women’s rights, there was a generation who fought against it. And here we are, their collective descendants with our respective differing views playing again in the same sandbox.

What has changed? 

Our generation has not studied the hard won fight to fully understand the women’s movement is a living, breathing, everyday challenge that cannot be taken lightly.

Feminism needs a new brand for this new generation to define, relate to and support. 

Just like domestic violence didn’t have the language used to describe it in the ‘70’s, we need new language to get behind. I don’t know what the name of it might be, but I do believe most women just want what is fair. 

"Fairminism" might be a good start.

Today’s perceived norms of working moms still include working hard without the pay, title, respect and management support. It is a struggle in this economy.

Yet, I consider myself lucky. My mom didn’t have the same earning opportunities and the freedoms that come with it. I knew growing up that I wanted to have an established career before marriage. And I wanted to buy a house before kids.

At the Oscars, “the main misogynistic awfulness was centered on the workplace,” writes Amy Davidson of The New Yorker.

Sexism and decent pay in my early career were clear and obvious challenges. Misogyny is real and it just takes one small weakness for predators to pounce.

Having a dual income household that affords both parents to do the job they love and make a livable wage seems to be the golden ticket. That’s the foundation of the American dream, isn’t it? Work hard, get paid, buy a house, have a family, be happy. Right?

How much do we rationalize our "glass half-full" feeling that women have come so far and go on accepting our current struggles before we speak up? 

I’ve heard the question, where have today’s feminists gone? Well, they’ve been busy trying to balance these hard earned rights and live up to their career potential. But, without the support of an infrastructure – including management support, fair pay and affordable childcare  we are faced with a difficult journey.

The women leaders of our society are busy. Very busy. Women today are advocating for not only women’s rights, but human rights. Not only here in the US, but around the world. 

Feminism is far from dead. Now, women activists are called humanitarians.

Our generation is enjoying the fruits of our mothers’ and grandmothers’ labors and spreading the word, lobbying and advocating for women everywhere.

There is a glaring light shining on the world stage illuminating the suffering of women and girls who are struggling to be treated with dignity, to gain access to healthcare, get an education, and thrive under the protection of basic human rights.

So, thank you, Seth MacFarlane, for sounding the alarm. But, more thanks to the women who are talking back. Writers like Lindy West and Amy Davidson are waking up a legion of feminists who didn't realize their voices have been sorely missing. 

And, finally, to Gloria Steinem, I owe you a huge apology and debt of gratitude. I thought, naively, that you had already passed into the pages of the history books. Yet, here you are today, at 78, still talking about equal pay.

I wish I had been listening to the conversation earlier. 


March 8th is International Women's Day.

Sources:





Twitter hashtags:
#internationalwomensday
#womensday
#womenswishes
#changetheconversation

12 comments:

  1. Bravo patty! I didn't watch the Oscars, but thanks for informing me of what happened. I feel lucky to work in a field where woman and men are paid according to their experience...and treated as equals. Thank you Gloria. Your whole blog woke me up...i needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Stacie! I really appreciate the feedback. I agree, we are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your recognition that feminism is still important. I believe there is an ebb and flow with societal movements. The tide has been going out for some time now for feminism. I think that the tide is turning and will flow in for awhile. Welcome to the club - call it what you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Margot. I think the pendulum is shifting again. The worse it gets, the more people will awaken and speak up. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. Gloria Steinem has repeatedly said that the only alternative to feminism is masochism. Either you think the way Steinem thinks or you are deviant. I have a degree in women's studies and I called myself a feminist for about 20 years. Steinem's insistence on taking choice away from women is one of the reasons I stopped calling myself a feminist.

    Feminist leaders have stereotyped other women going back to the first wave of women's rights in 1848. I have been verbally abused by four feminist women in leadership positions. When I tell the story of the three successively abusive leaders at one women's resource center, other women tell me they had similar experiences in other women's resource centers. I have written several blog posts about how the leaders at the National Organization for Women (NOW) expect their ordinary female members to remain silent and passive while the leaders take action and give themselves glory. On a paper I wrote about this, a feminist professor wrote a comment about needing an "intellectual sophistication" to understand abortion. Apparently, ordinary pro-choice supporters are not intellectually sophisticated enough to speak their own words and take their own actions. Read Marsha Vanderford Doyle's Ph.D. 1982 dissertation in which she exposed feminist leaders' need for glory. See details below.

    NOW leaders tell supporters to send money so that NOW leaders and their handpicked "dedicated network of grassroots activists" can take all the glorifying action. When NOW leaders feel it is necessary, they give their supporters permission to click a button and forward a "Your letter" email. When numbers of bodies are necessary, NOW leaders send out calls to show up at a certain place where NOW leaders do all the talking.

    Pro-life leaders, on the other hand, tell supporters to take any action they can take in their own lives to make abortion unavailable. The pro-life tactics have been successful because abortion is mostly unavailable. The last statistic I saw was that abortion services are available in only 13% of all the counties in the U.S. It does not matter that abortion is legal to women who have no access to abortion services.

    Feminist leaders have set women's equality back because they create inequality between women. Read the article link below to get an insider's glimpse into the endemic "trashing" of the 1960s and 1970s. Trashing was a purposeful strategy to create inequality between women who called themselves feminist. The trashing I experienced took place in the 1980s and 1990s. It stopped only when I removed myself from the sphere of feminist leaders. I choose to disagree with Gloria Steinem because I would have been a masochistic to continue associating with abuse feminist leaders. Now I call myself an equality advocate. I advocate for equality between women, between men, and between men and women.

    Equality between men and women will follow equality between women, but don't expect much equality between men and women as long as feminist leaders focus on their own glory.

    In-House Rhetoric of Pro-Life and Pro-Choice Special Interest Groups in Minnesota:
    Motivation and Alienation 
    Dissertation, University of Minnesota, 1982
    Marsha Vanderford Doyle, Ph.D.

    http://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/trashing.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, I feel it necessary to respond to several of your allegations or complaints about the women's movement and its leaders. It seems naive to me, that you would question the publicity and attention that leaders of the movement get, and maybe it goes to the heads of some, but in any movement, progressive or not, the leaders get publicity.That is a natural consequence. As for those leaders stifling the voices or actions of those that are part of the movement but not out front, I just don't see it. It seems to me that if someone is willing to work hard and give of their time and energy to a cause they believe in, the leadership is usually very relieved to have them in the ranks. There will always be fewer chiefs than Indians. And lastly, it seems your bitterness is an example of women pitting themselves against women, which we certainly don't need. We have a hard enough time as it is. We need to support one another, not bash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your attitude is the classic arrogant attitude that feminist leaders use. Talking with arrogant feminists like you is a waste of time.

      http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/smug-american-liberalism

      Delete
  6. As long as there are women who use their "resources" in this way, there will be something to sing (or talk) about!

    If they thought things through, they would realize their behavior affects perceptions and societal norms, creating challenges for women everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too applaud Patty for speaking out. A former Oscar junkie, I have missed the last couple of years as I have worked over-overtime to fine tune my career path after waking up to the myth that women can have it all, all the time.

    Patty is looking for a new brand. Paula cites legitimate reasons why that new brand is needed. Anne has brought in the compassion necessary to take the conversation to the next level.

    In academia, there is a term called third-wave feminism. If you get deep into academic study on the matter, you'll quickly discover some believe a fourth, and even fifth wave is in process. Perhaps because of my age - college in the 1990s - I identify with third-wave feminism quite a bit; a wave that formulated in the 1990s.

    In my conversations over the last couple of years, I have met many "hardcore" second-wavers -- our glass ceiling breakers -- who believe feminism is dead. They believe they have put tools in place for the generations coming of age in the 1990s and beyond and that these younger generations lack awareness and gratitude for the gift. Sometimes I believe Paula is correct, and it makes these women too hard on their younger peers. Sometimes I believe these second-wavers are correct and we've missed the lesson.

    I learned a term "layers of acculturation" that really resonates with me. We aren't just battling current negative attitudes. We're battling attitudes that both men and women were born into and don't even recognize as misguided. The negative attitudes seem "normal" because there was no previous frame of reference, or the ones we were given were also culturally misguided. For example, I was raised in a household that regularly used the term "femi-nazi." Even though I was very uncomfortable with that term and knew it wasn't right, it added a layer of distrust to feminism that only study and life experience could lift off.

    I love the concept of third-wave feminism because I view it as real sisterhood. It is absolutely true that we need to continue to work toward equality. We are NOT there, even though things are better. I listened to a webinar only yesterday demonstrating that in 2013, women still only make 77 cents to every dollar earned by men. Our second-wavers need to understand that the younger generations are not growing up in the same environment - thanks to them! - and that our perceptions will be different. We need mentors. We need women uplifting women at every turn. In my mind, third-wave feminism recognizes this sense of female-sisterhood empowerment --- this is where the humanitarian aspect fits in for sure. We need this culturally and we need it professionally, and I think professionally is where it is still missing. I too have had some pretty negative experiences with senior women. It is sad because if we helped each other instead of fighting each other or competing with each other, what a different experience we would have.

    I view third-wave feminism as embracing and loving men and the roles they play in our varied lives, while remembering first and foremost that right now it still needs to be about the sisterhood!

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article. Thank you for writing this Patty! And thank you Sherry, Bonnie, Anne, Margot and Stacie for participating in and forwarding the conversation. Paula, I'm sorry you have had experiences which have left you sounding so bitter. It is harsh to start calling names and putting down movement leaders, especially as without them - who would you be writing about? There are so few leaders in this movement, and we are STILL not getting equal pay, and there is a long way to go. Let us not look at each other as the problem, even if we have different views.

    Patty, I have passed this article on to my women friends and hope that this conversation grows, in depth, complexity and volume.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many thoughtful comments; thank you.

    I am bolstered, I am humbled and I am writing.

    My next article is nearly complete. I hope you'll stick with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are points made in this article that I agree with & some that I don't. There's a lot of media that promotes nudity, thinness and sexuality in women as the most appealing trait of women. However, women are NOT the victims of the media. We've brains. We love being portrayed in media. It's our ego that is the problem, our love for attention and the need to be considered "beautiful". When you go to any school, be it elementary or college, the ones who are most cruel in their discourse of their female colleagues are the ladies. Women are strong and we fight for what we want. Men usually give us what we want in the end when we persist. Right from Eve and throughout history the role of women in changing the course of history has been well documented.
    On the other hand, as a female, I'm prolife. I value the life of the unborn child who cannot advocate for him/herself. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete