Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Solo Exhibition: Barn at Night Series


Save the date for the Artist's Reception on Saturday, August 8th. I'll be showing my work in OBR Architecture's fabulous gallery.

My collection will include heart-warming equestrian images from an evening photo essay at Malibu Riding and Tennis Club.


Ray at Night is San Diego's largest art walk attracting over 1,500 visitors. This is a thrilling opportunity for my first solo exhibition.

The barn at night is one of my most favorite places on earth. It is a scene of quiet and calm. The animals are ready to rest, warm and safe in their stalls. If you appreciate animals, you'll understand what I mean when it's a special time to be in their space as they get ready to lie down and go to sleep.

I studied dressage under Cheryl Wyllie in 2002, riding their fine Arabian horses. During that time, I befriended her father, Jim Wyllie. I spent time photographing the horses that I had grown to care about and generally following Jim around as he did his nightly chores. There is something comforting and soothing about observing a man care for his resting animals. Jim is a sort of tough gentleman from another generation. His thick weathered hands are a story in themselves.


Jim has a legendary history with horses that spans over 50 years. He is approaching his retirement at 90 years old and I plan to donate a portion of my proceeds from this show to benefit Jim's foundation, the Equestrian Education Foundation.

I hope you will join me for the Artist's Reception in San Diego and come out to support a wonderful cause. Hope to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment