Saturday, June 23, 2012

Mothers' Dinner by the Sea

People make the place, so they say, and I would have to agree. I would only add that special places tend to attract special people. That's what I've found here, just 45 minutes south of San Francisco, in what is affectionately known as the Coastside.

The Coastside Mother's Club has brought together women from Pacifica to Pescadero to share in the joys and challenges of motherhood. Time and again, I've been amazed by the genuine support and honest compassion these women have shown for one another, our children, and this seaside community.


When my second daughter was born a month early and my kitchen was still under construction, the group generously organized homemade meals delivered to my door for two months. For a mom without local family to provide support, this was a godsend. I couldn't imagine that show of community in any other place I've ever lived.


My parents had a wonderful tradition for many years of hosting potluck gourmet dinners with close friends. I wanted to recreate the concept in my adopted home town near Half Moon Bay and keep the relationships I'd forged going strong.

I found enthusiastic support in my friend, fellow mother and chef extraordinaire, Kate. She took the idea and ran with it hosting our first ever potluck dinner in May. It was a success and we quickly had another volunteer to host for June.

"Bring warm clothes. We'll probably be outside all evening." That was the text I received just as I arrived to our carpool destination. I had come straight from work in the city and was wearing a sweater and light jacket. I figured I'd be okay if the wind didn't pick up and the fog didn't roll in. We were in luck as it turned out to be a beautiful evening.

About five miles south of Half Moon Bay, we reached Jackie's cabin. Sitting right at the water's edge, our hostess had set up a casual table for serving and chairs around the fire pit for dining.

The women pulled through with amazing fare: teriyaki chicken kebabs, butter lettuce cups, mango rice, caprése, quinoa, bottles of wine and chocolate cake.

It was a beautiful evening of great conversation and companionship. The views of the Pacific were marvelously moody until the sun went down. Laughter became more abundant as the fire crackled and kept us warm and dry from the evening mist.

It's a rare event to meet women who are so warm and welcoming and to meet five in one evening is pure reassuring delight. I look forward to hosting the next month's event and the continued genuine camaraderie. Special places do indeed attract special people and I have come to feel rather at home in our small agricultural town by the sea.






No comments:

Post a Comment