Monday, March 30, 2009

Full Rainbow Over Moss Beach - Publication

This was the third full rainbow I had seen from my house in the past few months. Strangely, I had never even seen a full rainbow before. Truthfully, I wasn't even sure they existed. But, they do.

The first time I saw one, it appeared over Montara Mountain, but I had the wrong lens with me and couldn't capture the full rainbow. The second time, the rainbow was practically overhead and I had the wrong vantage point.

Miraculously, I knew I had been given another chance to take this photograph, so I ran out the door, with the right equipment in hand, wearing my pajamas and a parka! I ran up and down several blocks in my garden shoes and shot 48 frames in the 30 minutes I had to get the right shot.

The most remarkable part of this breathtaking sight was that the rainbow was marching towards me. The left end of the rainbow appeared to be on the horizon when I began photographing around 6:50am.

As the winds blew and the rain started up again, it slowly moved closer. The rainbow pulsed, too -- at times sections were brighter or dimmer, incomplete and complete again. It was just offshore in the surf at 7:10am.

Once again, I was under the rainbow. Pretty spectacular.

The Half Moon Bay Review ran the image on their front page,
Full Rainbow Over Moss Beach


No comments:

Post a Comment